[RC] Made for endurance or no? - Susan Favro

Jennifer –

I completed my first 30-mile LD last season on my 7yo Paint (“Lonesome”). He has more of a thoroughbred build that the heavier frame of a quarter horse. From how you’ve described your Paint, Lonesome isn’t as far along as you mare is. He has a very steady, unflappable temperament, but we have lots of work to do on frameset, collection, etc. We trained quite a bit around home which is pretty mountainous terrain. He did fine on his recoveries on home rides, but when we got with other horses he was amped and took longer than usual to pulse down. But we finished the ride and were fit to continue. I plan on training him up for 50s and have no doubt he will be fine.

There have been lots of discussions on various forums about what makes an endurance horse and my take on the general consensus was that it’s the heart/desire of the horse that’s the most critical.

Blow that bubble back up, Jennifer, and throw away the pin!

…S
Susan Favro
Healthy As A Horse Network
“Innovative effective products for the conscientious horse owner”
Voice – 406.864.8000
Fax – 559.272.6093
Mobile – 406.370.6399
E-mail – Susan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx