[RC] Shoers- Do you tip or gift??? - Fay Kelley

Title: Shoers- Do you tip or gift???
Curtis, Laura \(LauraCurtis\) wrote:
  Don't we already pay all of these people very well for their services?

Do they pay wait people a living wage .... ?    I always tip service people
unless I think I am getting BAD service or I am being OVERCHARGED.
A lot of service people put in extra.

I am in the real estate business and this past year has been really hard for everyone.
My hubby has a little handyman business and I can tell you we have no extra money
at all right now ....  and I have a LOT of people to remember at the holidays.

What I do through out the year well before the holidays as I know this is coming every
single time .... I buy $10 packages of high quality soap and fragrance-free candles as
token gifts.   And try to buy things when I have the money and save them up as
at the holidays we are usually broke!   I always buy some extra gifts for people who
show up at the last minute in my life who I want to give to.

(For many years I was a figure skating coach and it was expected to give gifts.
Some the coaches who had a ton of students certainly could not afford to give
lavish gifts .... there is NOTHING wrong with giving a nice inexpensive token gift
that has been chosen with care ..... one coach used to pass on gifts that she didn't like and it
was offensive.   Not that anyone on this list would do that.    Some of our students
gave token gifts,  some gave lavish ones, and some gave no in spite of the fact many
time my hubby and I would donate huge amounts of time at no cost.   Did we notice ....
yes.   Did we hold it again them .... No, we just thought they hadn't been taught to
show gratitude for extras ....)

Also, a small fruit basket or something which someone has made is a nice gift as well ....
we don't give alcohol or anything else which might be politically incorrect or might put
someone in an uncomfortable position due to whatever.

I give my farrier $5 extra dollars each time and tell him to buy a Latte !!!
Same with people who put on tires, etc., etc. I tip at the time.  If a guy
does a great job and is careful and nice, I give him a $20.   Totally depends upon
the situation.

But all of the last farriers would call me on the phone.   This new one
came out for two hours and talked horse health, etc., with me NO CHARGE--
and he is more qualified that all the rest put together ... so he
is special .... he'll probably get a fruit basket that I put together myself.
The basket will run about $10 and the fruit will be about $20 .... and the
shrink wrap I do myself it already on a role here .... a nice gift for $20 ...
I do the fruit baskets throughout the year for special people .... they love them.
Chocolate and Coffee Beans for other special people .... depending upon what they
like.

--
Cheers,  Fay

Real Estate News