[RC] trailer loading/unloading - Rebecca Bianchi

I have a question about the opposite problem being discussed.  I have a gelding that will load just fine but will not back out of my three horse slant load step up/down trailer.   He'll  wait and then turn very gently, no rushing, but flat out refuses to move if I ask him to back out.  I've had the trailer parked in such a way that the drop was only 4 or 5 five inches yet when the one hind hoof steps down he acts like I'm try to drop him off a cliff.  He leaps back in and gets very upset.  It is easier and less traumatic for both of us to turn him and let him walk quietly forward out.  Any suggestions for retraining here?
Becky