[RC] Who has time to ride? (for Jackie) - Kristi Schaaf

Jackie wrote:
I still don't have my main squeeze, Tank, back in
action. I'm down to being able to ride four miles
before I get stalled.....he kept stopping and looking
back at his rear, which is the constant MO for each
ride, no matter if it's at home or away. At the
moment, I'm leaning towards tye-up, but have no
evidence to back that up.
_______________________________

Jackie -
Has anyone (vet or otherwise) mentioned EPSM (also
known as PSSM) - polysaccharide storage myopathy - as
a possibility? I had a wonderful horse with weird
sporadic symptoms (tieing up, occasionally walking
stiff behind, prolonged 'camping out' after urinating,
'quitting' after about 8 miles), but no one seemed to
know why he sporadically had those problems. I work in
a veterinary college library, so did my own research
and from what I found, insisted that my vet (she
thought I was nuts for considering EPSM since the
horse was a 1/2 Arab and not a draft horse) take a
muscle biopsy. At that time, it wasn't a well-known
condition so I actually knew more about it from my
research than any of the local vets did. Sure enough,
the biopsy indicated EPSM, which is a muscle disorder
(it's not EPM like some people think when they see the
letters). If your horse is heavily muscled (I'm maybe
thinking so, since his name is Tank??) you might want
to consider a muscle biopsy, which I believe is the
only way to diagnose it.

I had my biopsy sent to Dr. Valentine for diagnosis;
she is an expert on EPSM. You can read her articles
about it at
http://www.ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/index.htm

They are mostly based on draft horses,but the articles
really pertain to any horse, and she does specifically
discuss light breeds in at least one article.

Best wishes,
Kristi

Life's a journey, so enjoy the ride (and try not to fall off)

http://new.mail.yahoo.com