[RC] - jpascu

Carla;

What we call Morton's Neuroma is the symptom of a foot that is out of balance.
Riding contributes, accelerates this imbalance mainly because the stirrup and
distance riding because of the amount of time we spend riding. The neuroma,
believe it or not, is the healthy action of the body protecting the nerve. The
nerve, usually the lateral plantar nerve (you can look this up online or in a
good anatomy book) is being impinged by the 3rd and 4th metatarsal bones- the
big toe is 1 the middle toe is 3 the little is 5 unless you have more toes!
What the body is doing by creating the neuroma is trying to relieve the
pressure on the nerve, the neuroma is in response to pressure not the initial
cause of it. Once there's a neuroma if the space for the nerve isn't increased
then the neuroma itself will contribute to the problem.
Anything that can relieve the irritation and inflammation on the nerve will
help reduce the pain, ultra-sound was mentioned by someone that's good choice,
manipulation of the bones by a chiro or podiatrist can help. You can stretch
your foot, rub it and work directly on the nerve, (back channel me if you want
some instruction) to remove the inflammation. It's not difficult the nerve is
easy to find.
To stop the problem you'll need to address the cause. The cause comes in two
flavors: your posture (tight legs, pronating or supinating foot, low back
issues...), and how you ride what you ride on (stirrups that are too small and
unforgiving, shoes that are too tight, not cushioning in the shoe, dropping
your heels for a long time by pushing them down...).
I've had about 4 clients with this issue over the 13 years I've been a Rolfer.
One had surgery twice and is still in pain. The others are out of pain, but
they aren't riding long distances! My main point is to not treat the neuroma as
the cause.
hope this helped
jim

--