[RC] I found a WONDERFUL gps charger solution - Keith Kibler

If you own a garmin rechargable unit and would like to charge it on the fly while camping or at a ridecamp without electricity I have found the solution to that issue.
Get a Energizer brand instant charger for you phone. They cost like 19.95 or so. They allow you to use 2 AA batteries to charge your phone. The cable between the charger and the phone is detachable.
Take the charger (which is a small pod thing about half the size of your palm) along with the garmin unit and its plug in charger pad to radio shack. They do not sell the energizer by the way, They have a chord and both the ends to fit the energizer instant charger and the docking pad for the garmin. the cord and the two ends will cost you about $ 14. The charger and the gps for my phone, which is a RZR are both 5 volts and within 150 miliamps of each other.
It works. So, for about $ 35 I have an instant portable charger for my phone and my garmin gps.
Sweet.
Keith

do not forget to take your phone to the place you get the instant charger to make sure it is the right one, it lists which charger works with which phone and the cord of it hangs out the back of the package to make sure it fits, I got mine at Home Depot, but Walmart has them too I think.
Then take the whole shooting match to Radio Shack and have the thing hooked up before you leave the store, the instant charger blinks with a blue light when it is working and the garmin screen comes on to say "charging". make sure that the person helping you checks the voltage, polarity of the connections and the miliamperage.
Failure to do these three things could result in frying stuff you dont want fried.