[RC] 100 mile prospects - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

I am not sure if I am doing this correctly.
Has someone seen a published list of desirable traits for an
endurance horse (100 mile prospect)?  Please share.
Thanks for your help.  I enjoy reading the digest when I have time
and I appreciate those of you who share their experiences.  Your
input is valuable.

Hey Kathy,
Helps to put a subject line on. I'll respond (since I was curious
about the no subject line post), add a subject line, and maybe others
who know more will respond too. :-)

I've been trying to find my next 100 mile prospect (I think I have)
and here's what I looked for.  I want a horse that's balanced. Not
too extreme in any direction. I like 14.2 to 14.3 but I'm short and
understand larger people needing bigger. I prefer to stack the cards
in my favor, so I got an Arab, but obviously other breeds can do it
too. I was looking for a gelding (my preference) with good legs, no
interfering, tough feet that won't pull shoes, a good mind because
you've got to have one who doesn't fret his energy away at the
beginning of a ride.

A 100 mile horse has to be serious about eating and taking care of
himself. It's hard to see much of that when you try one out, but you
can spot a real flighty horse and avoid it. I sure wouldn't want one
that looked like a grayhound from fretting at home.  I'm really
careful about backs. I like a horse with decent withers and a level
back and a good loin. I'm more willing to take slightly crooked legs
(my horse is a bit base wide and toes in) than a dippy back or weak
loin.  I want a horse that really pushes of from behind instead of
dragging himself with his forehand. I want a horse that ties OK. I
really hate dealing with one that sits back on a rope.

Finally, you want a horse that you LIKE. 100 miles is much too long
to hang around with a horse that you don't enjoy being with. Then
don't try to do 100's on a horse that doesn't LIKE endurance. That's
way too far to push one that doesn't want to do it.

Really, you just have to go buy yourself a 50 mile horse, ride him
awhile, and see if he lets you know he is capable of being a 100 mile
horse. I do pretty well to pick a 50 miler on looks. There's some 100
mile horses I would have passed up thinking they weren't the type,
but they proved me wrong in 50's then just went on to be great. I've
kinda given  up on guessing. You just try to set some standards, then
be willing to bend them if you get a hunch this one may be the one. :-
)

Angie