Re: [RC] newbie rules and experienced riders - Lynne Glazer

Oh, no.? Here we go again. One person's perception therefore justifies tarring the entire group with that same broad brush--"if it happened to me ONCE and it happened to someone else ONCE, it must indeed be happening EVERYWHERE and ALL THE TIME."

I'm just gonna offer my perspective, too, Chelsea, here ya go, and best of luck to you on your rides/volunteering is the BEST when getting started.? Around these parts, when something has happened to a rider on trail and/or they are off their horse, everyone who passes asks if the rider is OK.? I've observed that frequently, when off to adjust tack or my clothing after, um, peeing.? There are of course rude riders, but they are NOT the majority of endurance riders your posts infer that they are.

I once boycotted a ride for several years because the former, longtime ride managers let a local "trainer" woman sponsoring junior riders enter each year, when she was a known hazard, barely under control and riding fast.? They knocked a mountain biker off of the trail.? One of their horses collapsed in a parking lot after a ride, and mgmt was indifferent.? I've photographed this woman and her charges, and saw it for myself.? She is the exception.? New ride management limited her charges to 2.? So she got someone else to sponsor 2 who wasn't in shape to ride at the speeds she did, and that gal about died. ;-)

Maybe your respondent's indifferent passersby were newbies or people who were not riding under control themselves.? If a group-thing happened to me like that, I would probably say something to ride management and hope that they bring it up during the awards.??

Can't help but thinking about other horse sports, and again affirming that endurance riders as a WHOLE, IMHO, display far greater sportsmanship than any other.? Kate, why are you here if you think our sportsmanship is so awful?

Lynne