[RC] FW: newbie suggestions and stethoscope - Kearby, Kate G Civ 748 CBSG/OM

  1. I think every horse owner should own a stethoscope and know how to use it.  It's not only good for heart rate but gut sounds! (and the occasional need on people.

To me heart rate monitors are just extra junk for my horse to carry and me to fret over.  I know how my horse is doing I don't need constant heart rate monitors.  Carry the stethoscope (or if you have the money a heart rate monitor) for a while in training, you'll get the idea.  It's not rocket science.

  1. that list of things newbies should do?  How about ALL distance competitors should do...  a friend of mine was on an endurance ride, his horse tripped and tumbled with him, another experienced rider trotted by, she did toss him a spare water bottle and said 'you'll probably need this', but she kept on trotting...not an 'are you ok' or nothing....  Number one reason we seldom ride endurance.