[RC] Desert Gold 3 day LD - Chris Kaznowski

Our Lady of Perpetual LD smiled upon us again this year at Desert Gold. My partner and I have been to this ride twice before, with mixed results. First time out we got too cold one day and had assorted horse mishaps the next so RO'd out both days. Last year, I did finish all 3 days but my partner missed out one because he brought only 1 (!) pair of riding pants and they got soaked the first day.

The rain gods were kind to us this year. (to the LD riders I mean, some endurance riders just had to get wet!) These trails are in the former military base, Fort Ord and on BLM lands on the Monterey peninsula of northern CA. Just beautiful footing ,mostly gradual up/down slopes, a good mix of twisty single track and wide fire roads. Some deep sand, which we non-Floridians fear like plague. Scott Sansome, the ride manager, and his hardy band of volunteers worked hard to keep up the excellent markings in the face of territorial displays by the local mountain bikers. It would be very easy to get lost in the maze of trails on these lands without the careful marking. All the other trail users we met seemed pleasant and non-confrontational. The only thing I could have lived without was the helicopter that buzzed us early on the second day. Our horses just had a good training opportunity, but I did hear that a rider came off (all parties OK).

We had a group of 4, my experienced mare Sky, 2 7 year old mares with a couple of LD's and our 8 year old gelding on his first outing. I'm a confirmed LD rider (I'll even tell you my confirmation name if asked), my partner has tons of endurance experience and the buckles to prove it. We also had a friend riding whose mare is laid up this year and she brought to us a potential new convert who is a grad student looking to ride again.

Our merry band had a classic pilot error early the first day:broken stirrup leather. Although 2 gallant BLM employees we ran into helped us cobble it together, we decided it was too chancy so my partner and the grad student walked back to the camp. The two of us had a great day and continued with our plan of finishing all 3 days in good shape.

The second day went smoothly after the helicopter had done whatever it was doing and went away. Trails great: trot when possible, walk when necessary, canter just for fun. Vet check a bit crowded, everybody working hard to keep things moving. I wasn't whining because (a) they gave me Doritos! and (b) it gave both the horse and me time to relax. Back on the trail, more trot, walk, canter and then home.

I really enjoyed the final day's trail. We did a lovely mix of single track and wide roads twice and I would have enjoyed a third go round. Sky did ask if we really had to go out of camp on the same out trail yet again, but she complied when I insisted that indeed was the case. We got back in good time, all vetted in with almost no issues.

I don't remember the results for the 50 milers, sorry. I don't know where we stood in relation to the LD group. I do know that all our horses finished well and happy. And Sky will wear a cooler at the next ride with Desert Gold 3 Day LD BC embroidered on it (not official AERC BC). She deserved it, she was a pro. The other guys need more work at home for the trot outs, but they were perfect out on the trails. In contrast to what others say, my experience at all the LDs I've attended has been quite low key and calm. I've never seen mad starts or racing of any kind. There is nothing to win, after all. Your mileage may vary.

Thank you to ride management for great rides and wonderful campfires. Congratulations to the winners and to many who reached mileage goals at this ride. Thanks to Don for the horses, Sandy and Claudia for trail companionship. And especial thanks to Claudia's husband, Jason for being our hardworking, ever helpful crew. He's taking riding lessons now and does ride with us on training rides. Next year, he'll be out competing and AERC will have 2 more members.
And for all those wondering, those fabulous red full-seats with fringe were a 50th birthday present and come out on special occasions, which this was.