Re: [RC] Pilot Error - Truman Prevatt

I have been crossing paths for about 30 years with a guy who I first met when he was a SR71 (Blackbird pilot). He was one of the best and flew the "difficult (which translates most dangerous) missions." He retired and ended up working for Aerospace Corp and we have been working the same projects for years.

We have become pretty good friends and have shared quite a bit of beer together. He mentioned one time that "everything that happens is pilot error." The program office would never admit to a design flaw (although as Dave pointed out there were a lot of fixes and retrofits during the life of the aircraft) and the mechanics would never admit to overlooking something.

The SR71 has the aerodynamics of a flying brick. It was basically flown by computer. Sticking it in for a landing is extremely difficult (why only the best of the best flew the beast) and is considered an emergency landing. One day he looks down and his primary flight computer is out. He switched to the back up and it is flaky. He decides and told his second seat to hang on - he is going to have to stick it in. He calls for a refuel so he could get to Denver (Buckley AFB) where there is an strip that was designed for emergency landings of an SR71 (extremely long runway). He sticks it in. He sticked it in to a near perfect landing (a tire blew out bringing it to a stop on landing.)

The report read "pilot error." It didn't seem to hurt his career though.

From my understanding a helicopter is pretty unstable on takeoff and landing. In fact I think any vertical takeoff/landing craft is pretty unstable. The Marines had one heck of a time in the V-22 Osprey development. It's better than a chopper - but not by much.

Truman
David LeBlanc said:

That's what they always chalk them up to,
unless there's a clear mechanical failure.

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.