[RC] Pilot Error - k s swigart

David LeBlanc said:

That's what they always chalk them up to,
unless there's a clear mechanical failure.

I rest my case.  In the absence of a clear mechanical failure, the NTSB
understands that all accidents are caused by pilot error.

I'm somewhat doubtful that another 150# or so
tipped the aircraft over the edge, especially
in that manner.

It is a brave man indeed who is willing to guess at a woman's weight...and in
public!

However (despite the joke between my vet and me, which David apparently didn't
get) I also doubt that it was the extra "150# or so" that tipped the aircraft
over the edge, and that it would have had trouble taking off in those
conditions anyway.  The conditions for landing safely and the conditions for
taking off safely are not necessarily the same conditions.  The fact that the
helicopter successfully took off from a helipad in St. George where the flight
originated (open parking lot, altitude 2,500') doesn't count for determining
whether it could safely take off from a small clearing in the trees on the
Kaibab Plateau.

Helicopters are just basically dangerous, even
under the best of conditions.

Yep, which is why you won't catch ME flying in one again absence a life
threatening situation.  Give me a fixed wing aircraft any day, THOSE things are
actually designed to fly.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s.  I have little doubt that the pilot who flew the helicopter that day was a
competent and skilled pilot, and, in some ways, I probably owe my life to him,
as when it became apparent that we were going down (I actually DO remember the
helicopter accident even if I don't remember the horse accident that led up to
the helicopter ride), he was able to bring it down in such a way that all of
the passengers survived with "minor injuries" (another macabre joke from the
NTSB, in case anybody is missing it), despite the fact that everybody who saw
it (who knows anything) and everybody who read or heard about it after the fact
said, "Nobody ever survives a helicopter crash like that."  Brent Johnson told
me he was pretty sure that the only thing left for anybody to do was going to
be to identify the body parts.  Could have knocked him over with a feather when
they got to the crash site and actually saw signs of life, and not only signs
of life but the pilot up walking around trying to pull the rest of us from the
wreckage.

This doesn't change the fact that the cause of the accident at all was probably
because the pilot chose to fly that helicopter in conditions that were too
close to the edge of its mechanical capabilities.