From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Splitters Creek ASHS
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 8:02 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Breeding

Mike wrote:
>I recently purchased a pretty nice mare who has a good racing and
>endurance background.  I would like to breed her eventually to a stallion
>in hopes of producing a world class result. I'm new to horse breeding and would like to know folks' thoughts about how
>to select a stallion to produce my desired result.
My thought is that I need to breed for disposition first, then soundness,
>then for heart/lungs and athleticism

Hi Mike, what an interesting question.

By 'world class result' I assume you mean a competitive horse by international standards?

My view is that the ingredients of good horse breeding are like making a cake. It is a balance and blend of the right elements. I find it hard to prioritise or put them in order of preference for what is the use of having the best conformed horse in the world with the biggest trot - if horsie is highly strung mentally to the point it consistently impacts on performance at rides.  What is the use of having the best tempered horse in the world if they don't want to do it? (ie travel forward freely and keenly)

In my mixing bowl I value highly the following ingredients:

Pedigree - I prefer proven families of successful endurance and working horses. I will breed from unproven stock (had to as my breeding program was new 7 years ago) so I rate this element quite highly. You would probably prefer to find a very well performed stallion - or at least one closely related to one.
Conformation - you need a good awareness of your mare. What are her strengths and weakness and those of the bloodlines in her pedigree. If you are wanting to breed 'world class'  you would be looking for a stallion with pretty faultless conformation. My personal preferences,  solid bone, excellent feet, short canon, deep girth, body well balanced.
Temperament - dirty horses don't stay on this establishment but there are many with sensitive or 'difficult' temperament. 'Attitude is everything' in elite endurance horses IMO.
Breed - you didn't mention what breed your mare is. If she's a purebred you may also want to consider a top quality TB from good staying families (be careful about feet, legs and temperament if you do), or a top quality Anglo arabian (1/2 TB 1/2 arab) to produce a nice 3/4 arab offspring.

Hope this helps.
Catherine.