Subject: RE: [RC]   FEI Championships
From: "Tracey Lomax" <bandipops@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, November 22, 2006 12:12 am
To: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Steph Teeter'"
<stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Heidi wrote:

>>-and to that end, instead of kat's suggestions, I once again submit the concept that one way to help increase completion rates would be to only award individual medals to those riders whose countries can manage to complete a team as well, rather than the penalty sort of scenario.
[Reply]

I am not even remotely qualified to comment on what should or should not be done in your sport, but I do have a question about this comment, if you don’t mind me interevening?  What about countries that don’t have enough horses and riders to field a team?  How disheartening for a good rider to work really hard to get his horse to this level and not be able to earn a medal!

We only had one showjumper at the WEG last time, but this year we fielded two.  Hopefully, soon, we’ll be able to field a team.  I am immensely proud of how far we’ve come but I think that, if we were to be denied individual medals because we can’t field a team, it would be grossly unfair.  It costs us a FORTUNE because our horses have to be jetted overseas months beforehand, after going thru months of quarantine (horse sickness) and right now the exchange rate is simply murderous.

Don’t you think that it is unfair, after making such enormous commitments in time, money and personal sacrifice, that competitors be denied a medal?

Tracey