Re: [RC] FEI Championships - SandyDSA

In a message dated 11/21/2006 11:14:45 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, bandipops@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Don’t you think that it is unfair, after making such enormous commitments in time, money and personal sacrifice, that competitors be denied a medal?
uh - no not really. At the risk of sounding a little...tight...:), this is not world hunger nor anything like that. Not everything is fair or level or even or satisfactory for every single person who wants to take part. It is really WONDERFUL that so very many people have the freedom to even participate in this and other sports, but in the end, It may sound contrary, but I think it IS wonderful to be able to make the sport as accessible as humanly possible to as many people as possible; that does not mean, however, that it is humanly possible or realistic to make sure "everyone" has the very same opportunity". Here is the good ol' US of A, too many people run around thru' life with a sense of entitlement chip on their shoulder and I would say, work as hard as you might to secure opportunity for you, for everyone who you know would like to participate - but as in life, be prepared to be disappointed at times - sometimes I cannot believe how people get all worked up over something SO not important...a hobby, a sport, even sports where people WATCH and don't PARTICIPATE (football, etc come to mind:)). That said, it is TOTALLY incumbent upon the governing bodies to make well known the rules and limits of a given sport. It IS a shame to spend all that time and money just to find out you cannot EARN an award.

One reason we bailed from the show ring to endurance was the issue or EARNING an award as opposed to being "awarded" one - in the show ring more often than not because your horse is out of or by the flavor of the month....halter horse, whatever. Here, you have the chance to EARN it...even so, it still is not so entirely level a playing field, since every horse and rider brings something different to the table. Do I think you should HAVE to field a team? For team awards, duh! Perhaps not for participation.....the team concept is a great one, managed right, but should never exclude the individual.