Re: [RC] FEI Championships - Maryanne Gabbani

Now THAT is an excellent suggestion and one that I'd love to see implemented (but don't worry...it won't be for all the political reasons noted previously).? I've noticed a trend in other equine events (can't call them equestrian at all) here that lean towards the "contest to see who can buy the best horse".? ?Every November they hold the four day Egyptian national and international halter show for Egyptian Arabians at the EAO, the government stud and Mecca to the Egyptian Arabian breeders. Last year at the internationals I did not see a single horse in the program who had been bred by the owner. Not one. This year there were a couple, but come on guys. What's the point of winning contests with the best that could be bought?? It certainly would appear that no one here has a problem with it, but I sure do. I don't think anyone in the US wants to equate bringing along an endurance horse for international competition with buying bloodstock for a halter show, but the parallel is a little to close for comfort.?

Question for the history buffs: prior to say, 1998 or 1999, how many horses participated in/won the international championships who were not ridden by their owner/trainers??

Maryanne