RE: [RC] FEI Championships - heidi

OK, while I'm not an international-caliber rider, I HAVE attended two WECs, one in the position of a team vet.  And I think we're talking in circles here.

First of all, the non-completion rate at high-level FEI events doesn't bother me anywhere NEAR as much as the treatment rate.  If the sport is getting bad press over the non-completion rate, then we need to do some serious educating.  It's ok to pull--but what is NOT ok is when the pulls so often occur too late to avert a serious medical intervention.  The huge number of medical interventions that are required are truly a cause for shame.  (And that's true when it happens at AERC rides as well--but I don't see very many AERC events across the board that look like MASH units...)

Second, there are several things IMO that contribute to the high rate of treatment.  Granted, there are added risks in traveling so far with horses, and that aspect cannot be changed, if one is to have world-level events.  But there ARE some contributing factors that COULD be changed.  One is the continued emphasis on the primary veterinary check being at the beginning of the hold instead of at the end.  (And that comment applies to AERC rides as well.)  One is the fact that too many horses at FEI events are subjected to arbitrary changes by team vets and team officials.  One is--yes, indeed--qualification of horses and riders.  I personally believe that NO horse should be at a world-level event without being at least 8 years old AND having at least 1000 miles in competition AND having at least three seasons in competition AND having done a minimum of three rides at the distance.  (I think that the 2500 miles suggested is not practical--but 1000 is quite attainable, and in most cases is enough to make sure that the horse can handle the sport.)  I also believe that riders should have even more stringent qualifications than that.

Third, Steph, I am appalled that you in previous posts suggested that the distance should be shorter.  It does NOT take freakish horses to be good 100-mile horses--but it DOES take very well-managed ones.  And to shorten the distance (as other posters have so aptly pointed out) increases the speed--and as such, increases the risks.  That said, you are right on the mark that there is a lot of good sportsmanship, good horsemanship, camaraderie, etc. displayed at these events.  If anything, perhaps the problems would be solved by putting even MORE emphasis on the team aspect of the sport--and to that end, instead of kat's suggestions, I once again submit the concept that one way to help increase completion rates would be to only award individual medals to those riders whose countries can manage to complete a team as well, rather than the penalty sort of scenario.

Fourth, one of the biggest problems IMO is the selection process.  We look at horses at rides, but I don't think we look closely enough at some of the ancillary traits that horses need at a WEC level--the ability to travel well, the sense of self-preservation to eat and drink and rest under any and all circumstances, etc.  Furthermore, I strongly disagree with Leonard's assertion that at this level, all the horses are lame.  It IS possible to field a sound team that is metabolically strong--but we need to rethink how we get horses there.

Heidi

I think some of you need to attend a World Championship and see for yourself
what it is like. There seems to be an impression that the WEC's are
demolition derbies. Yes it's faster than the back-home 100's, but likewise
the riders and horses are the elites of the sport, and the horses are
trained and prepared for the speed. There is a high level of horsemanship,
and while there are exceptions, MOST riders are riding THEIR OWN horses, and
care for their horse as well as their performance. AERC completion rates
averate 60%, yes? FEI is closer to 40 or 50%. Sorry - but if you're going to
scream about WEC 100 mile completion rates, then AERC 100's - 60% - is not a
whole lot more to brag about.

If you have seen a WEC or two and are convinced that they are bad, and bad
for the sport, that's fine.

But if you feel they are bad, and bad for the sport, but have never actually
been to one and experienced it, then you really should do so. Rather than
forming an opinion from press and chat. The host nation can make a big
difference in how WEC's are promoted and perceived, but to see the essence
of the sport one really needs to get past that - get past the Dubai vs
Lexington atmosphere and see the essence - the rules - of the sport, and
make your opinion based upon that.

Believe me, there is still a high level of camraderie and sportsmanship and
displays of personal character... it's not all about winning. Most people
have a realistic expectatation of their potential, and while a few have the
'gotta win' mentality, most countries are in the game for a chance at a Team
Medal - and there have been medals given to teams whose riders finished
towards the middle or back of the pack - the Team Medal game is about pacing
and about completion.

Steph

(I've been in the Amsterdam airport for 6 hours now, another 1 1/2 hours
before the flight to Malaysia departs... way too much time on my hands!)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=