[RC] Who is thinking of doing their first hundred in 2007? - Patty Stedman

Is it on your "to do list"?  Have you been contemplating the notion but not sure how to start?  Do you have "the itch?"  (No, Dr. Q, not THAT itch!)

Here's a nudge for adding a 100 to your New Year's Resolutions, and unlike the resolution to eat only fruit and granola for breakfast, KEEP this one!

Places to start to get inspired:

On the AERC webpage, look up the "100 Mile Rider Interviews."  Great information from the superstars of our sport.  And some of them are, indeed, mortal.

Get signed up for the 100 miler yahoo discussion list.  We need more folks to get more meaty discussion, and you veterans, please sign up!  We newbies need you experienced folks to bounce ideas and questions off of.

Start talking to other riders about "going for it."  You'll find inspiration, ideas, caveats and advice.  Endurance riders are notorious for being willing to share.

Pick a ride!

I'm putting a shameless plug in here for a NE ride that hosts a wonderful first 100.  (Yes, some 100s are definitely better first 100s than others!  IMO)  Sure, Maine is way in the Northeast corner of the country, but it is well worth the trip.  Tom Hutchinson hosts the Pine Tree 30/50/100 (on June 23rd in 2007) out of the North Waterford, Maine, Fairgrounds (not too far from the NH border, and close to White Mountain, and LLBean and a variety of other sight-seeing and fun-to-do things).  There is a restaurant within close walking distance with great food and huge portions and a real "down home" Maine feel.  Make a vacation of it!

And about the ride ...   Largely hard packed sand, the footing is nearly perfect, with one slightly rocky section that had me easy booting for our second go-thru when my horse's pour-in pads had gone AWOL.  Some hills, but no killers, just enough to give the horses some variety (for me, that's so much better than a totally flat ride, which is tough -- using all those same muscles over and over again!).  A good deal of shaded trail.  Two away holds at the same location early in the day, then the rest of the holds in camp, where there is running water, electrical hook-ups, even stalls.  My crew was tickled with the great directions to the crew spots, the ability to grab a meal at the restaurant or fairgrounds when they had a break, the ease of crewing out of our rig for most of the day, and the friendly, cooperative ride management.  Wonderful vets too, who were not afraid to poke fun of the 100 milers at mile 88 or so!  (This year, I think I'll slow my usual blistering pace and make them stay up later -- we turtles have our ways of exacting revenge!)

I'll be there again this year.  Care to join me?  ;-)

Patti Stedman
EarthLink Revolves Around You.