[RC] big cat on trail?? - Chris Paus

I live in eastern Kansas and ride in a state park about 40 miles south of the Kansas City metro area.

Ali and I went to the lake for a ride today. Had a lovely time. We were the only riders out on trail, only horse trailer in the campground. About 4:30 we were heading back to camp, about 2 miles out maybe. Starting to get some long shadows in the woods.

We had been seeing deer all day. Lots of them. And one gorgeous big buck. She startles sometimes at deer, but doesn't freak.

Anyway, we got to a point on trail where we both heard a hideous sound in the woods. Kind of a yeowlllllll. Hard to describe. Definitely cat like. Saw two deer hightailing it down the trail in front of us.

Ali refused to go forward another step. She's a very brave mare and has gone anywhere for me, so I respected her opinion.

I figured we'd just get out to the road the best way we could.. more open there and if we got in a jam, there'd be someone coming along... It  just seemed like a safer place to be.

I turned Ali around on trail and she nearly bolted. She's never done that before. I could feel her very nervous under me and she defintely wanted to get out of there NOW. She listened to me and we walked outa there. Had to back track a half mile to get to the road. Took the road the rest of the way back to the campground and our trailer.

She settled down once we got to the road, but kept an eye on the woods that we came out of.

I didn't see whatever it was. It definitely was not a dog. We don't have bears around here and it didn't sound like a bear anyway.

I've seen and heard bobcats. It kinda sounded like that, but they don't usually scare the horses. I've galloped down trail following a bobcat running ahead of us and the horse never was concerned.

anyway, it was a freaky experience. I wonder if she'll be nervous going that way again....

chris

"Whisper words of wisdom, let it be." The Beatles

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $510,000 Mortgage for $1,698/mo - Calculate new house payment