[RC] [RC] bute for 6 mos? - Patti

In "Anesthesia and Analgesia for Donkeys" N.S. Matthews and P. Van Dijk write:
"Since donkeys metabolize non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAID's) at different rates than horses, these drugs need to be administered at different intervals than in the horse. Phenylbutazone [6] and flunixin [7] are more rapidly metabolized and may need to be given twice daily to standard donkeys and three times daily to miniature donkeys [ 8], "

The cited reference studies (if you follow the references in the online article they will link to the PubMed abstracts) were with IV bute, but it makes sense to me this might hold true for oral bute, also. The entire "Veterinary Care of Donkeys" book on IVIS has some interesting info (my friend with a donkey rescue has found it helpful), and you could  email the editor N.S. Matthews at Texas A&M (clicking on his name at the top of the article will display an email address).

Patti K
Vail AZ