[RC] donkey with broken hip - Karla Watson

Thanks for the great advice about giving bute to my mini donkey for 6 months. He is getting 1/4 ounce per day as he is about 250 lbs. He is expected to make a good recovery and may have a slight limp or none at all. Time will tell. If he had been a horse, the vet said he would not have survived the injury. Donkeys are incredible strong which is apparent if you've ever worked with mules. It was a brutal loose dog attack that broke his hip in several places and tore flesh off both stifles early in September. A horse could not have survived this and recovered ok. He is making great progress! His flesh looks fine and normal and he is pretty bright-eyed. He still gets around fine and has a limp. Has started bending his hock which was stiff for a long time. He can still trot but just holds his leg up and runs! Donkeys are smart and take great care of themselves so I have had no need to keep him locked up. He lays low and only moves when he needs to or feels good. I have 3 little donkeys besides my endurance horses and I just love these little guys. The other 2 donkeys are actually "massaging" this donkey in the hip area quite often. I'm sure its helping his progress. He has a whole area on his right side where his hip is that is always softly chewed off or wet from a tongue massage. His donkey "family" are helping to give him comfort.

I'll take the advice and put him on ulcer meds. Is there one I can get without a vet?? Any good recommendations there? Is Gastroguard available thru mail order? I have no problem getting meds into the donkey. He will eat anything inside a small PB&J sandwich! ;-)

I don't feed my donks alfalfa so no worries about mixing alfalfa & bute. Donkeys should not be fed alfalfa as its too rich.

-----------Karla Watson/who also does donkey rescue in the NW