Re: [RC] Override vs. Bad Luck - Barbara McCrary

You are so right on.  The two terminal colics of horses here on our ranch happened without human cause.  Both happened some time during the night.  One mare had never been broke to ride and the other was on R&R.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 3:57 AM
Subject: [RC] Override vs. Bad Luck

If I was responsible for every step my horse took...then I am guilty of causing my horse to go lame in my pasture while I was sleeping...or while I was at work (supporting my horse) I caused him to colic.

Now I am guilty of riding my horses and dare to stress them by trailering and riding 25, 50 miles.  However, I have a friend across the street that has 3 "petting horses" that have not been saddled since the sun, moon and stars have been in alignment -- and she has had one come up 3-legged lame...and one colic despite the best of feed, hay and veterinary care.

Horse care at and away from a ride takes vigilance, education, prayer...and a little luck does not hurt.
IM(humble)O

Gail
Patient Wait Farms