RE: Is 100 miles in one day too much? RE: [RC] WEG 2006 - Bob Morris

endurance
One entry found for endurance.

Main Entry: en.dur.ance
Pronunciation: in-'dur-&n(t)s, -'dyur-, en-
Function: noun
1 : PERMANENCE, DURATION <the endurance of the play's
importance>
2 : the ability to withstand hardship or adversity;
especially : the ability to sustain a prolonged stressful
effort or activity <a marathon runner's endurance>

Using the above definition of the term ENDURANCE I would
venture that the FEI concept, of a minimum time for
completion of a given distance, is truly not an endurance
event.

Perhaps we need to step back and examine exactly what we
would like to see as the epitome of world endurance
competition. Exactly what should the "WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP"
encompass.

A few points immediately come to mind:(not necessarily in
order of importance)
1. Competition open to all nations.
2. Competition adaptable to all geographic conditions.
3. Competition adaptable to all climatic conditions.
4. Competition ensuring the welfare of the horse.
5. Competition with enforceable rules for qualification and
competition.
6. Competition that embodies the true meaning of
"ENDURANCE".

Considering the above points, #1 is a definitive given. #2
means that the concept of endurance competition accepts what
ever course terrain is available in the host country. One
event might be in hilly country and the next in a very flat
country but the natural terrain will be used. #3 brings to
mind the current controversy about having a championship
ride in a hot humid venue. Well, that is endurance! #4 is
paramount. #5 indicates that all competitors will be riding
in all competitions, under a uniform set of rules. #6 One
ride in a few hours is not competition. Currently 3-day
eventing shows more endurance concepts than our FEI
Championships. Set a minimum of miles over a minimum of days
as the basis. Being a world championship, perhaps 225 miles
over three days.

But then we all dream don't we?

Bob

Bob Morris