Re: Is 100 miles in one day too much? RE: [RC] WEG 2006 - Joe Long

Steph Teeter wrote:

But if we were given the opportunity to change the format (currently 100
miles in 1 day, speed is everything) of FEI Championship Endurance ... any
ideas? How can we test our own horses' endurance against the rest of the
world's horses' endurance and still reward skill, training, athletic
ability, sportsmanship - and still have a sport that we feel good about
doing??

Steph

Perhaps we could take a page from the old Sebring automobile endurance race. It was not who could cover a fixed distance in the shortest time, it was who could go the longest distance in 24 hours.*

The logistics would be difficult for horses, but if it could be worked out, what about a race where the winner is the horse/rider team that travels the fartherest in 24 hours? That would slow the speed down.

The logistics could include several loops of, say, 25 miles, 15 miles, 10 miles, five miles, and two miles, and a track. The loops would be designated early, then after 18 hours the riders could choose their own loops. In the last half-hour or so, they would ride on the track, and at exactly 24 hours their positions would determine the winner.

* This format at Sebring caused an embarrassment one year. Ford sent a team of three cars and drivers. In the last minutes of the race, all three were out in front. The "suits" decreed that all three should cross the finish line side-by-side to make a good advertising photo-op. So the lead car slowed down to let the other two line up with him. But the race officials ruled that as one of the other cars had started in a row farther back (at the start), that car had traveled the greatest distance and was declared the winner.