Re: Is 100 miles in one day too much? RE: [RC] WEG 2006 - Truman Prevatt

Steph Teeter wrote:
Perhaps this is heresy... but is it possible that 100 mile horse races are
simply too hard?? Perhaps it might be better if our sport embraced a shorter
version (or perhaps a 2 or 3 day version) for championship level
competitions? Certainly 100 miles in one day is the ultimate challenge, but
if the sport has become a 'last man standing' sport, then perhaps we don't
have it right yet. After seeing the last two Presidents Cup rides finish
winners in just over 7 hours, my thought was that this is simply not a
sustainable sport - horses are simply not mechanically or physiologically
capable of sustaining those speeds over those distances. We are seeing a
sport where only a few incredible athletes - the freaks - are able to play,
and the majority can't even finish the course.
You are correct it is heresy and you should be placed on a dunking stool in downtown Moscow in Feb for saying such things ;-) .......... but the discussion needs to happen.
In human sports there are 'ulta marathons' but this is also an extreme,
freak, sport- and if the Olympics embraced a 100 mile human race, we would
probably also see a 'last man standing' sport, where at least half the
competitors had to retire before they completed the course. And I don't
think the public would approve. I think the comparison between human
distance races and horse distance races is valid given the athletic ability
and capability of the two species. Humans can also run 100 miles, and it is
a valid challenge, a valid sport for the 'ultra' elite athlete, but it is
not a mainstream sport and therefore has limited appeal to the International
community. why is that??
Takes too long, can't be formatted for spectator appeal, doesn't have corporate sponsor to name a few.
It's easy to say 'well, just throw in rocks and mountains to slow them
down' - but this is not a solution that is available to most of the world.
And in a true race situation (e.g. International competition) an Old
Dominion type course would result in an unacceptable level of injury on race
day.
I suspect if you ran a WEC on the OD trail in the summer or the Tevis trail you'd find even worse completion rates than we see now.
Give the current format of Endurance the only way to reverse the 'last man
standing' trend of International competition is to make people slow down,
which is a difficult concept in a true race format. Kat - your idea is as
good as any I've heard. But we'd still see 100 mile races around the world
(and in the US btw) where 50% completion rates are not unheard of.
In reality the average completion rate in AERC 100 mile ride is about 60%. So you really can't expect better than 60% at a FEI level ride. At the Tevis it is probably 50% - maybe a little less. A lot of things can happen in 100 miles.
But if we were given the opportunity to change the format (currently 100
miles in 1 day, speed is everything) of FEI Championship Endurance ... any
ideas? How can we test our own horses' endurance against the rest of the
world's horses' endurance and still reward skill, training, athletic
ability, sportsmanship - and still have a sport that we feel good about
doing??
I think it gets right down to speed. I think there tends to somehow be a misconception that distance racing is about something other than speed. Bottom line the horse, human or dog that can maintain the highest speed for the given distance be it 100 meters or 100 miles is the winner. The superior endurance comes into play in that it provides the ability to maintain a faster speed than the competition. But all other things being equal a runner with more speed will make faster runner at any distance. You shorten the event - speed becomes more important. You run it over multiple shorter days - speed will be a bigger factor than 100 miles in one shot.

Would a format of 80 or 120 km be safer for the horses in a WEC than 160 km. If you look at the AERC pull rates (15% for 50's through 75's and 40% for 100s) for a clue - the answer is most likely yes. Is this an acceptable solution? You run the WEC at 40 km "then you might even get it into the Olympics since it could now be covered as a spectator sport. Is that an acceptable solution?

I think in the long run such a move to run the WEC at anything but 160 km in one shot would have a significant negative impact on the 100's in the AERC since significant support for 100's comes from our folks who are working to get horses ready for FEI events. If the FEI championships were 80 or 120 km there would be little incentive for these people to ride 100's since that would not be the event they are trying to get ready for. However, that's a different issue and should not impact what the FEI does of does not do.

Truman

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.