[RC] horse not backing or turning head well, and brain fried 'mama' - Elizabeth Chase

Evenin' folks,

I would like a bit of input regarding my rescue TB's gait issues.

Him: 15 year old gelding, 17.2 1/2 hh
Performance History: No known track experience; most recently employed as an
eventer for 8 to 10 years; currently barefoot. Daily training or competition.
Pictures show him jumping hollow-backed.

Recent health:

1) Dx blood positive for EPM though he was stabled 24/7 w/no paddock time. No
CSF test done as he has actually improved since coming to the rescue last
April. No ataxia; no asymetrical muscle atrophy. Able to cross both front and
hind legs when going sideways.

2) Since leaving the rescue he has developed both rain rot, and scratches on
left hind leg (white sock), which responded to zinc oxide application.

3) Seems to have chronic swelling left hind, coronet to fetlock.

4) Right hind seems a bit wobbly, same location. Am told this was his 'bad' leg
on arrival to the rescue, but photos show him favoring the left.

5) Additional observations:

Hypertrophied muscle at poll, possibly indicating a tendency to push against
the bit. I've worked diligently with him on lowering his head and can palpate
the difference it's made since I got him in mid-August. He does NOT like to try
to retrieve a treat held between his front legs.

Relatively strong muscle development along front of neck, chest, lower ribs
abdoment, and lower haunches, possible indications of a hollow-backed,
steeple-chase jumping style.

Relatively undeveloped topline to his neck, VERY high withers with very obvious
atrophy/underdevelopment directly below, and directly behind shoulders, I'd say
8 to 10 inches. No white hairs. Atrophy/underdevelopment continues backward to
loin but narrowing in an elongated tear drop shape. Normal looking HQ, no side
more prominent, normal looking tailhead, but not a lot of tail swishing
normally. Flinches ears just a bit when tailhead manually manipulated.

Has difficulty with neutral lateral flexion, or turning head side to side with
or without hand support more than about 10 to 12 inches. Can not retrieve treat
held by girth, about a foot out, regardless of height it is held at(to compare,
my mare is able to pluck a small treat off my boot toe while I am mounted
w/foot in stirrup, both independently and with direct rein).

When asked to yield HQ, he does, but slowly.... seems like with either great
mental or physical effort. He will go faster if allowed to move his forehand
freely at the same time.... like he is spinning from the middle.  Same thing
yielding FQ, wants to move his HQ just as much.

Ribcage seems stiff both directions.

Biggest concern: When asked to back, his HQ seem to shudder a bit, and he has
some problem picking up his feet and moving backwards. Seems willing to back,
but it 'feels' like he is dropping his HQ a bit.

Walks, trots, canters, and slow gallops in his pasture without missing a beat,
unless it is so fine that neither I nor a couple of other folks with extensive
experience can pick up.

Feet kept trimmed, sole and frogs appear healthy.

What I've done: I have (and have read) Equine Research's 'Lameness' book, I am
a trauma nurse by trade, and I-searched until my brain hurts.

What I have not done: More diagnostics. Easy to order, harder to pay for in the
right-here, right-now time frame.

I don't want to lead a potential diagnosis by saying what we think so far. I'm
hoping that someone might have some thoughts/insight that hasn't occurred to
us.

Caleb would appreciate anything that might help improve his condition,
nutrition, comfort, and ability to move about.

Very appreciatively,

Liz
Minnesota

Sponsored Link

Online degrees - find the right program to advance your career.
Www.nextag.com