[RC] Best conditioned awards in Australia - sherman

Thanks for the info, Catherine. I like the idea of multiple BC/fittest horse awards. It gives the opportunity to award very fit horses even if they don’t carry much weight.

Kathy

In Australian domestic rides we have a best conditioned horse award in = all weight divisions (although some states combine similar divisions eg = Junior and Lightweight). Some people also call them 'fittest horse'. The = top 5 horses in each weight division are eligible to enter. For rides = under 160km the fittest horse can be judged under saddle or in hand. For = "" over 160km they are judged under saddle, typically the day = following the ride.  Horses found lame are not eligible to enter. The = vet inspects each horse individually then it works out. They use an = evaluation calculation sheet which includes factors such as weight = carried, time taken, heart rate, metabolic parameters and willingness to = move out etc.

Best conditioned or fittest horse is a very prestigious award as it = rewards good management rather than winning at all cost.

Catherine.

Splitters Creek Arabian Sport Horse Stud www.users.bigpond.com/splitterscreek