Re: Legal cavaletti Re: [RC] Advise to Mickey: - Keith Kibler

Elizabeth and Mickey:
Being a horse nut I try not to venture into the realm here of the way I make my living to support my horse nuttiness. The horses sure dont seem to pay for themselves. So I practice law when not riding, scooping poop etc.
Disclosure: I am an ILL lawyer, not a lawyer in whatever state you are in. You need some legal advice from the state you are in.
That being said, here goes the unsolicited interjection of my 2 cents:
One of two things have happened here if the situation as presented is true.
1. Someone has died, and estate has been opened up and their has been either an executer or an adminstrator appointed. Either one of these people can have the authority to sell a horse. You would not legally have to have all the heirs sign off on anything in that situation.

2. Option 2. Someone has died. No estate has been opened. If that has happened then here are the legal concerns.
1. The person wanting to sell you the horse may not have the ability legally to transfer the horse to you. Remember, just because someone may have possession of the equine or maybe possession of the horse and owed money on the stable fees or etc does not mean they own the horse and so they can not sell what they own. You might pay for the horse and then end up not owning what you thought you paid for.

So, go talk to a lawyer in your town about this. The office interview will probably cost you between 35-50 in most places to ask your questions.
Absolutely do not buy this horse until you get those questions answered.
Since I shot my mouth off, (hey I have a daughter that could have been the one buying a horse like this) full disclosure again.

Keith Kibler
Attorney At Law
Marion IL