[RC] First Horse - Bruce Weary DC

Congratulations, Mickey, on your new horse purchase. I hope you have a long and happy relationship with Ginger.
This is a bit of unsolicited advice that is difficult to say, and probably even harder to hear when you're riding high on the excitement of getting your first horse. I don't know what your riding experience or skills are, but I'm a firm believer that safety comes first. You mentioned that your horse is only 18 months old, so I'm assuming she isn't broke to saddle yet (or shouldn't be). I would hire the very best trainer and tell him/her that you want that horse whistlin' Dixie and makin' coffee before you are willing to get on it and ride it through all the adventures you will have together. If you are a relatively inexperienced rider, and the horse knows even less than you do, it can be a recipe for disaster. An experienced rider can better anticipate a horse's mistakes and fears, and usually has developed their balance and "hangin' on" muscles with which to avoid injury, better than a lesser experienced rider.
You probably have these bases covered, but we need all the healthy riders we can get, so I thought a bit of "motherly advice" was in order. Now, sit up straight, eat your vegetables, and don't go outside with a wet head. I don't make house calls to Texas. Dr Q