Re: [RC] First Horse - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Dr Q's advice, always a welcome email in my inbox, brought me to another thought that I haven't seen covered.  Thinking of safety and well being for horse and rider is to check the pedigree for Impressive in the background.  I had a dear friend go down the side of a small hill when the back end of her horse went out.  Thankfully, both horse and rider survived.  Unfortunately, Joyce no longer rides!

Joyce bought this horse from a rescue group and did not know the bloodlines.  It was a beautiful solid sorrel.  Her vet on a hunch tested the horse for, you got it, Impressive Syndrom aka HYPP, and found to be positive!

"Owners and breeders of affected horses should inform prospective buyers of the management constraints these horses have and the potential for future episodes of HYPP.

To have a horse tested for the specific DNA mutation causing HYPP, please send a whole blood sample in an EDTA vacutainer tube (a purple-topped tube) labeled with the horse's name, name of the owner or responsible agent, and a copy of the horse's pedigree. Please include a check for $50 per sample made payable to "UC Regents." For more information, call (916) 752-7416."

Send sample to:
Veterinary Genetics Laboratory HYPP Testing
School of Veterinary Medicine
University of California
Davis, CA 95616-8744

D'Arcy Lynne

"A friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.  One that holds your heart in their hands as if it were glass!"

Sponsored Link

Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate - Click now to apply