Re: [RC] Falling off your horse - Keith Kibler

Big Creek Mo last spring on a greenish 3 year old walking horse gelding. He was a look alike for Hidalgo. Down hill, steep downhill both his front legs went out from under him at the same time. He launched a large circle Y western saddle completely over his head as his neck head and ears all dropped to the ground. I was still attached to the saddle. As he put me on the ground in front of him, I rolled one shoulder (off road motorcross is a good background for this), thought "this is gonna hurt" and hit and rolled. the horse skidded to a stop on his knees and with his but way to high in the rear end.
My wife was just behind and then promptly screemed. I hit so hard I tore up both my boots on the rocks I landed on and ripped up my jeans. The horse looked like he was comming over on to me so I curled up and got what was left of my boots set to try and (like this was gonna work) keep the horse from crushing me. I started reaching for the reins and trying to calm the horse.
Wife would not take the reigns but did start kissing on me thankfull that I was alive. Always glad to be kissed on her I kept asking her to take the horse, which just did not seem to get through to her at all.
A woman up the riding line from us jumped off her horse and ran back up the hill and thankfully grabbed him after the horse picked himself up off me without falling on me.
The first woman who came to looke at him fell in love with him. When I told her the story it was the icing on the cake.
What I thought mid air?
This is gonna hurt.
Keith