[RC] whither spot - Peder and Susan Barsness

Question relating to white spots developing on the withers...How long does it take before white hairs show up- and does this mean there is permanent NERVE damage underneath? I have a horse that we had some saddle fitting issues with...when it become obvious (horse not wanting to work- slowing down- refusing to trot- stretching alot- etc) I switched to a flex saddle...It was obvious to me right away that she felt better (moved out freely)...So I rode the entire summer in that saddle...No white hairs developed...My son started to ride the horse in a different saddle because his legs are much shorter than mine (this was in late June)...She never seemed to have any objections to working...She was laid off in late August and when I brought her home in October she had some white hairs on her right side wither. This has me wondering if it was my first saddle- the flex saddle or my son's saddle...I also suspect that a neighbor girl may have been sneaking some riding in on her  where she was boarded because she had what appeared to be saddle blanket marks when she came home...I never had so many saddle fit problems before- and I want to be sure that next season is not impaired because of a bad fit...Thanks...Susan