Re: [RC] Conditioned VS NonConditioned - Distance_Ryder

IN previous posts she did say that she has taken horses that were "pasture potatoes" and competed them.~

Joe Long <jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Distance_Ryder wrote:

> Cindy,
> The difference in opinion here is that I consider it inhumane to ask my
> horse to give so much physically if he were not conditioned properly
> ahead of time.
>
> How could I look into those eyes and put ask him to go 25 or 50 miles
> without conditioning him first?
> Shadrach
>
> He trusts that we are a partnership. I may be a green horn at
> endurance, though I am no green horn with horses. Cindy, you go ahead &
> ask an unconditioned horse to go the distance, though I am going to
> study up and make sure that I feel my horse has been conditioned before
> I go. Let's end it here and agree to disagree....I am not much for
> gambling & that is what this is coming down to~
> Best regards to you~
> Christina & Shadrach
>
> Owner/Trainer
> Eclypse Sport Horses

Good LORD, people, doesn't anyone actually read for comprehension any
more? Cindy never suggested taking an unconditioned horse on a ride.
You are putting yourself up as holier-than-thou and condemning her for
something that she never wrote. PLEASE read her words below again, and
this time PLEASE try to understand them!

BTW, she is 100% correct in her statement about a horse's ability to
complete an LD ride -- without harm, and without being treated "inhumanely."

> */Cindy Collins /* wrote:
>
> ...Because they keep emailing me directly....Although apparently I
> don't have enough experience in endurance riding to comment on
> conditioning horses :), let me just say that as a matter of fact I
> did take myself to an ultra run in the BigHorn mountains with no
> conditioning and managed to finish the 50 K (on a bet). I completed
> within the required time in second to last place. However, I never,
> ever said that I would take a 20+ year old horse out of the pasture
> and do 25 miles. Let me try breaking down my original statement one
> more time:
> " Any horse + who can do 10-15 miles + at a reasonable pace + can
> easily finish + a 25 mile ride + within 6 hours." Cindy
>

> It takes a lot of time and work to build muscle and stamina. If
> anyone thinks they can take a horse right out of pasture and it
> ought to do a 25 mile without a problem needs to try and run a 10K
> without any training first! Then let's talk conditioning.
>
> In the meantime it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how
> to read the stats on AERC for hours ridden in competition and then
> compare those names with the names on this message board! D'Arcy
>

> Cindy Collins
> c_collins@xxxxxxx
>

> Happy Fall Y'all!!!
> http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013403/6102621/161670519.jpg

> Check out the New Yahoo! Mail
> -
> Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

Happy Fall Y'all!!!