Re: [RC] Conditioned VS NonConditioned - Joe Long

Distance_Ryder wrote:

Cindy,
The difference in opinion here is that I consider it inhumane to ask my horse to give so much physically if he were not conditioned properly ahead of time. How could I look into those eyes and put ask him to go 25 or 50 miles without conditioning him first? Shadrach <http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013403/11473555/191331197.jpg> He trusts that we are a partnership. I may be a green horn at endurance, though I am no green horn with horses. Cindy, you go ahead & ask an unconditioned horse to go the distance, though I am going to study up and make sure that I feel my horse has been conditioned before I go. Let's end it here and agree to disagree....I am not much for gambling & that is what this is coming down to~
Best regards to you~
Christina & Shadrach <http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013403/11473555/166193833.jpg>
Owner/Trainer
Eclypse Sport Horses

Good LORD, people, doesn't anyone actually read for comprehension any more? Cindy never suggested taking an unconditioned horse on a ride. You are putting yourself up as holier-than-thou and condemning her for something that she never wrote. PLEASE read her words below again, and this time PLEASE try to understand them!

BTW, she is 100% correct in her statement about a horse's ability to complete an LD ride -- without harm, and without being treated "inhumanely."

*/Cindy Collins <c_collins@xxxxxxx>/* wrote:

...Because they keep emailing me directly....Although apparently I
don't have enough experience in endurance riding to comment on
conditioning horses :), let me just say that as a matter of fact I
did take myself to an ultra run in the BigHorn mountains with no
conditioning and managed to finish the 50 K (on a bet). I completed
within the required time in second to last place. However, I never,
ever said that I would take a 20+ year old horse out of the pasture
and do 25 miles. Let me try breaking down my original statement one
more time: " Any horse + who can do 10-15 miles + at a reasonable pace + can
easily finish + a 25 mile ride + within 6 hours." Cindy

It takes a lot of time and work to build muscle and stamina. If
anyone thinks they can take a horse right out of pasture and it
ought to do a 25 mile without a problem needs to try and run a 10K
without any training first! Then let's talk conditioning.

    In the meantime it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how
    to read the stats on AERC for hours ridden in competition and then
    compare those names with the names on this message board! D'Arcy

Cindy Collins c_collins@xxxxxxx <mailto:c_collins@xxxxxxx>

Happy Fall Y'all!!!
http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013403/6102621/161670519.jpg