Re: [RC] Conditioned VS NonConditioned - Truman Prevatt

It seems to me that Cindy is right on the mark here. For any horse that can do do 15 miles at a reasonable pace ( and lets put a number on reasonable pace of say 8 mph ) - 6 hour 25 would be a piece of cake. The 15 miles is 60% of the 25 miles. I know a lot of people that do 100's and I don't know anyone that conditioned 60 miles.

I sure don't see anyone saying you can take a pasture potato out of the field and do a 25 - but a horse that can do 15 miles "at a reasonable pace" is not a pasture potato.

Truman

Distance_Ryder wrote:

Cindy,
The difference in opinion here is that I consider it inhumane to ask my horse to give so much physically if he were not conditioned properly ahead of time.
How could I look into those eyes and put ask him to go 25 or 50 miles without conditioning him first?
Shadrach <http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013403/11473555/191331197.jpg> He trusts that we are a partnership. I may be a green horn at endurance, though I am no green horn with horses. Cindy, you go ahead & ask an unconditioned horse to go the distance, though I am going to study up and make sure that I feel my horse has been conditioned before I go. Let's end it here and agree to disagree....I am not much for gambling & that is what this is coming down to~
Best regards to you~
Christina & Shadrach <http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013403/11473555/166193833.jpg>
Owner/Trainer
Eclypse Sport Horses

*/Cindy Collins <c_collins@xxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    ...Because they keep emailing me directly....Although apparently I
    don't have enough experience in endurance riding to comment on
    conditioning horses :), let me just say that as a matter of fact I
    did take myself to an ultra run in the BigHorn mountains with no
    conditioning and managed to finish the 50 K (on a bet). I
    completed within the required time in second to last place.
    However, I never, ever said that I would take a 20+ year old horse
    out of the pasture and do 25 miles. Let me try breaking down my
    original statement one more time:
    " Any horse + who can do 10-15 miles + at a reasonable pace + can
    easily finish + a 25 mile ride + within 6 hours." Cindy

It takes a lot of time and work to build muscle and stamina. If anyone thinks they can take a horse right out of pasture and it ought to do a 25 mile without a problem needs to try and run a 10K without any training first! Then let's talk conditioning.

    In the meantime it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out
    how to read the stats on AERC for hours ridden in competition and
    then compare those names with the names on this message board! D'Arcy

Cindy Collins c_collins@xxxxxxx <mailto:c_collins@xxxxxxx>

Happy Fall Y'all!!!
http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013403/6102621/161670519.jpg

Check out the New Yahoo! Mail <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43257/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta>- Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

--

“Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.” Albert Einstein