RE: [RC] Barefoot 'trimming' - heidi

This is also something that puzzles me, although I suspect it is because the horses do not live in natural settings.

My broodmares are out on natural terrain 24/7, and other than an occasional fix-it trim (yes, we do eyeball them regularly) they have not needed much in the way of trimming for the 6 YEARS that we've been here.

What concerns me is that living in tough terrain keeps them "trimmed" when they are NOT working--hence, adding any work to speak of causes the wear to exceed the growth, and so we shoe when we ride anyone past that point.
Our youngsters grow up with great feet as nature intended--and don't need trimmed until they are up and confined for some reason.

Heidi

I'm wondering just WHY you guys need to trim your barefoot endurance horses? (by barefoot - I mean as mustangs - not in boots)...

My farrier come out regularly, to trim goat hooves, reset shoes if need be, trim horses that need it. (generally shows up every 4-6 weeks).. We walk the field - he tells me who needs attention - I halter them - and they are cared for.

I ALWAYS write down on the calender - who received what care. Recently, I looked at the records and relaized that 4 of my barefoot horses had not needed any trimming for 5-7 months.. YET, when I measured them today - they were all within the 'proper' balanced measurements.. No cracks, no wings, nicely shaped, no excess hoof wall, etc.... Could show them in halter with a little shine!

Are my horses mustangs?? Nope!  Are they miracles?? Nope!!

What's the secret?? No secret - every horse I own is ridden/ponied for 3-4 miles per week (natural barefoot) on rough pavement.. And gives 3-5 hours of riding lessons in arenas that are footed with block-run (1/4" down - abrasive as a creek bottom/beach)... This gives them the wear that their hooves need as NATURE intended...

Now that I've pulled the shoes Off my two endurance mounts for the winter - they'll get trimmed the way nature intended as well.... There's a REASON mustangs have got such good feet - natural wear.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=