[RC] Hitting a "wall at 75 miles - Actually for Jayel Super about 80 miles at NC- Long - Stagg_Newman

Long and a bit rambling  but hopefully instructive.

Truman correctly characterized two types of "hitting the wall",
the psychological wall and the physical barrier caused by
running low on glycogen.

I believe many of our horses will hit the glycogen limit around
75 miles out if they are working close to their aerobic limit
for much of the ride and sooner if they spend too much time
out of the aerobic zone.  They key to successful 100s is to
keep the horse well within it's aerobic zone for most of the ride
with the obvious exception being on long climbs.

I believe Jayel Super hit a glycogen low at about 80 miles out
in the National Championship ride and that is when he backed
off and Heraldic and John Crandell left us for the win.  I would love
to have been able to get a blood sugar reading at that point in the ride.

As background Super and Heraldic came into
all the check points through about 77 miles recovered
very quickly, essentially as soon as we could pull the saddle
and check the pulse.

In the stretch from the 64 mile checkpoint to the 77
mile both horses were worked farily hard but carefully
as we tested each other.  We left the 64 mile check point
for the long climb up Milford Gap with Super leading most
of the way at the trot but Heraldic taking the lead a couple of
times.  Then on the 5 miles of rock across the ridge line Super
again led most of the way with Heraldic taking over towards the
end.  Then Heraldic (or more accurately John on foot) led
Super and myself on foot down the long descent from Veeches

Gap giving the horses a good chance to recover.  Then on
the next beautiful three miles of trail through Jack Weber's
forest and meadows we mainly galloped which meant Super was working
towards the top of his aerobic range rather than in the middle.
Super led much of that strech.  John and Heraldic continued
to press the pace on in to the 77 mile check point as we were on good gravel road.
At the pace we were doing at the gallop Super was working a
bit higher than his comfortable aerobic rate of 120 or below.Super at 77 miles had out recovered
Heraldic by perhaps 15 seconds so we left together.
Note that by 77 miles in the NC ride we had already done
7 major climbs and uncountable rocks so the horses
had been seriously working.  Heraldic and Super left the 77 mile
check point almost an hour ahead of the next horse so our
pace had been respectable..

We came out of the 77 miles together with John setting the pace
most of the time.  As noted as 80 miles he backed off.  So I
believe that Super spent too much time outside his confortable
aerobic range and used up too much of his glycogen stores.

We then walked and really slow trotted for the next 11 miles
including my walking downhill for the last mile and 1/2
into the last check point.  We went straight into the vet
check where Super was all A's with 56/56 CRI and very hungry.

We came out of the checkpoint with Super willing to trot more
but still not enthused.  As we went on his energy level picked
up and we trotted steadily the last 6 miles or so to the finish.
At the finshish he was all A's except for an A- on gut soundes.
He had a 48/48 CRI at the finish.  We were just over 20 minutes
behind Heraldic and John, a truly awesome pair.

So my hypothesis is that Super ran low on blood sugars at about
80 miles out.  By about 5 or 6 miles from the finish his body has restored the balance as
engergy reserves kicked in.  By contrast, Heraldic has more
"bottom", that is more energy reserves and so he went on
past the 80 mile mark strongly.  Hence the better horse won.

Had our pace been slower from 64 miles to 77 miles, Super probably
would not have "hit the wall" as he has done many 100s where
he did maintain a steady pace or even pick up the pace
(e.g. Canadian Championship 7 weeks earlier).

Lesson:  To do a 100 at the same steady pace all day or with
negative splits, stay well within the aerobic level of the horse.
Or be prepared to really slow up and give your horse a

period to recover when necessary.
information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.