Re: [RC] [RC] Armadillo Ride this weekend email from IGNORANT person - Dawn Carrie

Well, I must have missed the original post, so am only pasting this piece that I saw.  I have no idea who this person is, but she obviously were not at the ride, and did not see the care people were taking of their horses.  The horse that "flipped out and ran away?"  She must be talking about my youngster, doing his first LD, who stepped in a deep hole in a puddle and fell, getting away from me.  He panicked when I spashed his belly with water walking toward him, and bolted, and ran back down the trail.  Some other riders caught him (thanks, Darolyn) and returned him.  Yes, he's quite "traumatized"...ate us out of house and home on hay the rest of the weekend in camp, and has been running and playing in the pasture since getting home.  Poor boy...I don't know if he'll ever recover from the "trauma" of that ride.  ;)

Bo and Linda Parrish, along with their crew of volunteers, put hundreds of hours of work into clearing and marking miles of trail to give us new trail for Friday's ride, only to see it all trashed 48 hours before the ride.  But they STILL managed to put on a two day ride, with a 30/50 miler on Friday, and then changed the routes yet again overnight and put on a 25/50/100 mile ride on Saturday.  How they pulled it off, I'll never know.  Being a RM myself, I know how stressful managing a ride can be when things go mostly right.  But they had a nightmare on their hands.  And this with having to tow every rig both into and out of the camp.

Dawn Carrie, Huntsville, TX
and Epic Sundance (the "traumatized" horse)

Those of you who rode this ride call yourselves horse people?  This is down right ABUSE and sheer stupidity. IF it was raining and flooding like that, did it occur to anyone to call off the ride?   You PONDERED it?  Well, I highlighted the abuse in red below for ALL of you to PONDER!

It is an outrage that any horse owner would put an animal through this.   And you wonder why people think endurance can be abusive?  This is a perfect example!

The logical and SMART thing to do would have been to CANCEL THE RIDE!

Instead, your EGOS put those poor horses through hell.   It should be against the law.

  Thanks for giving me a perfect example of abuse in the endurance industry to cross post on websites.  Hopefully it will outrage enough people to raise hell with the sponsors of this ride.

But hey, some of you finished in the top 10, so whoop-de-do!  But how many horses, including the one that flipped out and ran away, will ever recover from this trauma?

Marcia

Zwillm@xxxxxxx