Re: [RC] re: any horse can do 25 milers - Mrs Christina Hykw

Cindy,
I think we agree that many horses conditioned for it can complete a 25.
What I am trying to say is that you could not just take any old horse that
we often see going down the trail for the Sunday ride complete one, not without
specifically conditiong for 25 miles ahead of time.  I think even if they did finish,
they would have metabolic issues or lameness issues.  I think of the joe average
horses that I know, how often they are ridden, and when we go out for a 10 mile ride
that averages 3 to 5mph, both the rider & horses are beat at the end ( of 10 miles).
Maybe I'm just not far enough into distance riding yet to forget what it looks like from
the outsiders point of view.
~ Best to you~
Christina
Cindy Collins <c_collins@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for writing, however, I STILL stand by what I said if you read it correctly:  ANY horse that is conditioned (meaning regularly ridden) 10-15 miles at a reasonably pace (6 MPH) can finish a 25 mile ride.  And, I'm sorry, but I don't think a healthy sound horse completing 25 miles is a big deal.  That is NOT meant to be hurtful or insulting, it's just the truth.  I have lots of friends out here with ranch horses that actually work for a living and they all could go finish a 25 miler with no problem and some of them have done so.  I am talking about horses that are ridden regularly, not pasture pets.  I've taken horses with no "endurance" conditioning and had them successfully complete a 50 mile ride at the back of the pack when my endurance horse came up lame.  It does take savvy and knowing how to rate a horse carefully.  All I can say is that I wouldn't own a horse that didn't have the capability of going 25 miles and I never have owned one that couldn't.  I'm including QH, TB or Arabs.  All of my non-endurance riding girl friends can go on 20-25 mile rides with me with no problems.  Maybe we're just tougher out West :)  Just joking, but we do ride.  Cindy

Cindy Collins

Happy Fall Y'all!!!