Re: [RC] LD/50 times - Truman Prevatt

I think you guys are involved in more of an academic exercise than anything else. First - there are vast regional differences especially in LD. As one of our premiere vets said to me one time - if those folks want a race let them come take on some of our LDer's. Yep we have them that rip up the trail here - try a 1:40 25. So some of them are running.
From what I remember when I looked at ride times was the top five in the
SE, NW and MW regions were noticeably faster than the other regions. The SE was noticeably faster than the NW and MW.

Bottom line there are those out there that are ripping it up in the LD's. They have the horse to do it and they train to do it. On the other hand there are 50 mile riders that are ripping it up. I think pretty much the number or reasons someone will race an LD or 50 for that matter on a given day are as numerous as the people that race them. I've raced a 50 and I've raced an LD. I don't do it all the time - in fact I do it seldom. But sometimes it all comes together and it time to let-er-rip. I've done a 2:10 LD. On the other hand I've done a 3:41 50 - which is two 1:51:30 splits. So even in my case my fastest 50 was faster than my fastest LD.

Cheers,
Truman

David LeBlanc wrote:
Terre said:
Not exactly. We haven't been discussing whether the horses are being ridden within their capabilites or not--the only data we have is ride times.

We also have pull rates, and while we know that winning ride times are about 15% slower, we also know that pull rates aren't much different (except when it is hot). So if we couple these two, we can infer that people are about as good at taking care of their horses in LD as in 50's (granted that it is easier to do that on an LD than a 50, though not tremendously so), and that how they do it is by slowing down.

What I am 'speculating' is that the level of competition is less "fierce".

Sure - I'd agree with that.

--

“Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.” Albert Einstein