RE: [RC] LD/50 times - David LeBlanc

Truman said:

I think you guys are involved in more of an academic exercise
than anything else.

I think so, but Terre's always a good one to discuss things with.

First - there are vast regional
differences especially in LD. As one of our premiere vets
said to me one time - if those folks want a race let them
come take on some of our LDer's. Yep we have them that rip up
the trail here - try a 1:40 25. So some of them are running.

Send them up here. I'd like to see them try that at Renegade. We have a lot
of LD rides won at around 10 mph - doing Prineville at 10 mph is a bit of a
trick. But then Dennis Summers did it this year in 4:31, and that ride is on
exactly the same course - the 50 is just the 25 twice.

I didn't do but 2 rides down there, but I did grow up in Tallahassee - I
think to get the same amount of elevation change as we get on the first
loop, you'd have to ride from Pensacola to Jacksonville. You can do that
down there as long as the sand isn't deep.

Our retired mare used to top-10 a lot of LD rides back in the SE, then came
up here and could fairly well do about the same placings up here, but it was
overall a lot slower. I'd have to go find Jennifer's scrapbook to check
times, since LD isn't posted that far back.

From what I remember when I looked at ride times was the top
five in the SE, NW and MW regions were noticeably faster than
the other regions. The SE was noticeably faster than the NW and MW.

I'd have to take another look, but what I recall is that the ratio stays
pretty close to the same across regions. So people do run a lot faster on
the flats, but the 50's are still 15% faster.

I've done a 2:10 LD. On the other hand I've done a 3:41 50 -
which is two 1:51:30 splits. So even in my case my fastest 50
was faster than my fastest LD.

Wow - that's pretty darn fast - about 2 hours faster than my quickest time,
though we get a lot of 50's won in around 4 hours, and that's in the
mountains. The ride in MT you were parked next to us was won in 4:06.

That's part of what got me looking into this - when I moved up to 50's from
25's, I noticed just how much faster everyone was moving. The fastest I've
ever done 25 miles (2:30) was part of a 50.