RE: [RC] LD/50 times - David LeBlanc

Terre said:

Not exactly.  We haven't been discussing whether the horses
are being ridden within their capabilites or not--the only
data we have is ride times.

We also have pull rates, and while we know that winning ride times are about
15% slower, we also know that pull rates aren't much different (except when
it is hot). So if we couple these two, we can infer that people are about as
good at taking care of their horses in LD as in 50's (granted that it is
easier to do that on an LD than a 50, though not tremendously so), and that
how they do it is by slowing down.

What I am 'speculating' is that the level of competition is
less "fierce".

Sure - I'd agree with that.

Because a greater
percentage of the entrants are in the "young horse, old
horse, rehabbing horse, family riding together yada yada"
category, the "field" is riding slower, so the "winners"
can ride slower.

This I'm not so sure of. I've seen too many people win rides of any distance
by quite a lot. Remember there's a lot of 50's out there going slow, too. I
think I was over an hour behind you last ride (sooo many rocks!).

There is no point in coming in an hour
ahead of the next horse, even if your horse is perfectly
capable of it.

May not be a point to it, but seems like they do. _I_ wouldn't, but the best
I've ever done is 3rd on a 50. I've seen people who knew they had an hour+
on the next rider gallop out of camp. I think they're not using good
judgement - increases your chances of finding a rock with your name on it.

Most people I know who can run up front on 25's get bored
with it, and
want to take on greater challenges.

I think that's largely true.  I can see, however, how some
people might enjoy the prestige and prizes of winning at one
distance, and recognize they won't be likely to do so at a
longer distance--and therefore find it hard to give up the easier win.

I know someone who does this, and they still only finish about 60% of all
their rides. Ridiculous.