RE: [RC] LD/50 times - terre

> Of course these people ride slower!  And the people
> who ARE racing the LD are not being pushed by a field of "racing"
> competitors, so they don't have to ride as fast as they are
> capable of in order to beat them--they only have to ride
> faster than the few other "racers".

So what you're saying is that they're riding their horses within their
capabilities, and are thus going slower. I agree, but that's contrary to the
racing LD'er myth.

Not exactly. We haven't been discussing whether the horses are being ridden within their capabilites or not--the only data we have is ride times. What I am 'speculating' is that the level of competition is less "fierce". Because a greater percentage of the entrants are in the "young horse, old horse, rehabbing horse, family riding together yada yada" category, the "field" is riding slower, so the "winners" can ride slower. There is no point in coming in an hour ahead of the next horse, even if your horse is perfectly capable of it.

> That may be why some of
> them decline to move up to the longer distance.

I know that's a factor for some people, but I only know a few of these. Most
people I know who can run up front on 25's get bored with it, and want to
take on greater challenges.

I think that's largely true. I can see, however, how some people might enjoy the prestige and prizes of winning at one distance, and recognize they won't be likely to do so at a longer distance--and therefore find it hard to give up the easier win.

terre