[RC] Safe containment - sherman

I don’t think it has to do with being ready for camping, it’s the horse’s temperament. And some with that type of temperament make good endurance horses. They just don’t want to give up. I’ve seen horses with years of experience continue this behavior throughout the night, even with their buddy tied nearby, and have a great ride the next day or 2 or 3 days even. I don’t think I’d want to have my horse do that though, and was wondering about stopping this behavior with hobbles. An old trainer down the road showed me to just put one hobble on my horse, put a little piece of chain on it, and when the horse paws, they whack themselves. Now, the chain is lightweight and doesn’t cause any injury, but sure annoys the horse…I know, I’ve taught my youngster (4yrs old now)to stand for hours without pawing using this method. She used to start the pawing as soon as I’d walk away from her. I don’t know that this would work with a seasoned pawing horse though.

Kathy

Kristi wrote:

At the risk of sounding judgmental (which I very

rarely am), a horse that can't stand tied without

digging a hole isn't ready to go camping yet, in my

opinion.