Re: [RC] fencing - rides2far

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:10:43 -0400 "oddfarm" <jsalas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
I have had horses go through the electric fence, one tear down and
get out of a metal round pen, (killer plastic bag was in with horse)
one go through the Carrie-lite fence not once but twice within
hours, (the first time was my fault) one flew over a permanent four
foot chain link fence and one went over a 6 foot solid wooden fence,

Wow. I've barely ever had any horse get loose anywhere. Maybe there's a
reason? There's more to keeping  your horse confined than the method of
confinement. You ought to know how to create a situation where your horse
will *feel* secure. I'm amazed at people who will bring 2 horses that are
buddies to a ride, leave one in a flimsy electric corral and ride off on
the other. A horse that feels abandoned is *far* more likely to get into
trouble. Some people think the horse needs to just "get over it". That's
putting everyone else's horses, kids, etc. at risk. If you bring a horse
to a ride you ought to not only contain him, but make sure he's in a
reassuring position where he's less likely to make a dramatic break for
freedom.

I use a high line and have had great success with that. However, at the
last ride I took just one horse and there were only horses on one side of
my camp. When those people decided to walk their horse at dawn, I felt
I'd better walk *my* horse. He was obviously scared and upset when they
left. When I take 2 horses that's never a problem.

Angie