Re: [RC] Horrible accident - Why? - Sky Ranch

I don't have a hi-tie.  I tie directly to the trailer, using a so-called quick-release knot.  However, I have found that if a horse really panics and pulls back, that knot is usually not going to release.  SO, as a safety precaution, always have a sharp knife handy, just in case of the worst case scenario.  When I crawl into my sleeping bag, I always make sure I have a flashlight and a knife, close by, and my alarm clock set.  :-)

One thing I do -- and it is oh-so-attractive :-) -- is to duct tape around any danger areas.  Like the doors, which have the extending "arms" to latch the two doors on the back of the trailer.  I put a handtowel in there, and duct tape around it, so the rope cannot get caught in it.  Murphy's law definitely applies to horses, if they can get caught up on something, or hurt, you can believe they'll do it.  So think ahead, and you can really fool-proof your trailer.

Carla Richardson
Colorado

Do you use this length with a Hi-Tie or when tied directly to the trailer? I tie to the trailer since I don't have a Hi-Tie and I tend to tie fairly short because that is always my fear that my horse will mess around and get a leg over the rope or get the rope caught on a wheel well or something...
Lysane