[RC] At least one good thing about starting the NC50 early (lengthy) - tim miller

>>>Amy commented how if they hadn't happened to see Ruby pee, they never
would have guessed she had a problem. She speculated that there might be
other such asymptomatic horses that go undetected -- especially if a ride
ends later and darkness falls before t
he horse gets around to peeing, making
the condition harder to detect.<<<<

Jonni wrote:

<And after reading this, I guess my mind just sees things differently. If she
had finished later, she MIGHT not have been stressed as much, and might not
have had her system compromised. (note I say might, as we all know that
things happen to the best, most fit horses that we can't always foresee).>

Jonni you're clearly not familiar with Mrs. Cieri who is universally respected in the NE region for her horsemanship and concern for the welfare of the horse.

As the owner of this mare, I was honored and privileged to have Amy undertake the training, conditioning and riding of this mare commencing past February.  I assure you this mare was not over-ridden  by Amy and I would refer to her record this year which clearly reflects building to this ride.  Amy is quite familiar with this area, having spent a week years ago searching for, and finally finding with the help of many others, a horse who stampeded out of camp along with several others.

The mare she rode at the NC's had a metabolic pull in 2003, the testing at that ride and immediate subsequent blood tests were submitted to Cornell University where it was conclusively determined the mare was clearing toxins from her liver prior to the ride.  The records were submitted to AERC offices.

Amy was riding with John Crandell at the outset of the NC 50, she also dismounted and with John and they caught three riderless horses, untacked them and tied them securely to trees.  A no brainer for either of these riders. Some chose to ride on by.  John and Amy were in some important sense the winners of this ride.

Post ride, Ruby was eating, drinking, peeing (clear) and pooping.  She was alert, showed no signs of distress.  Several hours thereafter, by dumb luck, both Amy and Dawn witnessed discoloration of urine and immediately reacted with elytes and walked her to the treatment vet.

This mare appeared in estrus on Sunday.  In 2004, in the NA 100 mile pre-ride, I had a mare going in exactly the same point in her cycle, at the last check she exhibited some similar signs.  In that second last leg  there was a dramatic weather change.  Interestingly, at the same point in her cycle weeks later, she exhibited the same signs on a conditioning ride, after a mere five miles, at the onset of a dramatic weather change.  Blood was drawn, other tests were taken, the only conclusion multiple vets could make was that estrus in combination with weather change caused the reaction.

Amy Cieri has an inherited condition called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.  A connective tissue disease.  She lives in pain constantly.  Unbeknownst to me, Thursday past, while handling pumpkins, she suffered a severe dislocation of her hip/leg, by the last hold, she was barely capable of walking.  The bond that had developed between her and Ruby was such that I declined to stand for BC in the absence of Amy's ability to show her.

I thank Mary for bringing to the attention of the endurance community, a group in the forefront of horse welfare, the issue of horses completing rides, seemingly fine by all outward appearances, yet are in distress.  How many are loaded in the trailer, taken home, and recover on their own?  We continue to learn, not all cause and affects have been discovered.

Anybody familiar with Amy Cieri will attest she is not capable of over-riding a horse.  It goes against all she firmly stands for.  If I had my pick of any of the great riders in this country, I would choose Amy every time.  She is the epitome of what this sport stands for.

Tim Miller
Sami Hills Farm