Re: [RC] hoof angle issues - Sisu West Ranch

Every horse is different. Many horses respond to barefoot as you have noted. For this reason I normally leave my horses unshod except when they are being ridden enough that they need shoes. "Ridden enough" varies with the horse and with the ground around. In WI my horses were barefoot for 20 years, until I started distance riding for keeps. Even then many would be barefoot until almost the first ride. I could do much training on sand roads.

I answered the question as I did because this particular horse appeared to have issues that could easiest be corrected by good application of steel shoes. It is possible that the farrier is incompetent. If this is the case the owner needs to find a better farrier. It is not unusual to fire your farrier, find a better one, and realize that a lot of puzzling problems simply dissappear. I have done that, and consider myself luckey that I have again found the best endurance farrier in the county.

This statement raises the question: How do I find the best farrier? In WI I happened to know an old farrier who was generally acknowleged to be the darling of the show set, particularly gaited horses. I called him up and told him what I wanted and what my horses would be doing. I also told him that I knew he had more work than he could handle doing his speciality. He thought a few minutes and made a reccomendation. It was great!

When I moved here I asked around, talked to a few farriers and tried one. Bummer! I fired him after the first time. My second try yielded a great farrier.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875