Re: [RC] hoof angle issues - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sisu West Ranch" <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have seen this type of problem with unshod horses.  The easiest, if not
cheapest, is to keep him in steel shoes that are reset as required.
Resetting every 6 weeks may be required.

Ed

*Hi Ed and all....not sure I believe this anymore...due to my observations
over the past year.
Formerly I had a great farrier who did his best to keep toes back (natural
balance type shoeing)and heels fairly low.  The feet always looked fairly
balanced (for years); he never trimmed out too much sole or frog as we ride
on rocky ground.

But had one horse that had horrible gaits and starting to trip badly (7
years in shoes), and another who also never seemed to move right (short
strides); we tried different things on both horses.

What I discovered when shoes were pulled, and I started transitioning them
to barefooot, with initial trims by Linda Cowles; then myself was the
following: All feet had some flare, and noticeable hoof rings, plus jammed
hairlines at the quarters.

The shoer was always shoeing to the hoof shape and white line shape...so he
was not doing anything wrong.....BUT, as the hoof relaxed over time and
started to grow in without shoes; you could see a straighter hoof wall (no
flares or rings),and slightly steeper angles, and the feet also widened,
especially at the heels.  I used sole, collateral grooves and white line to
determine where to trim; never took sole away, or lowered heels into live
sole, just basically kept heels even,hoof wall rolled, etc.  Pretty common
sense type stuff.

When the hoof was half way grown out, on all of my horses, you could see the
following:  The foot came down at a straight, nice angle, then scooped out
like a duck foot (not that extreme,but that gives the idea)....which is
either toe flare from not-tight white line, or wrong angle. All I could do
was keep the hoof wall well beveled, with a slight rocker on bottom, to keep
horse from catching it. Finally hoof all grew out (year)....to stronger hoof
wall, straight from hairline down, stronger heel buttresses and no growth
rings....plus level hairlines.

I noticed with with my own 4 horses, plus about another 10 or so horses I
trim....

There is no doubt in my mind that an unshod hoof is stronger and
healthier....no matter how correct or perfect the shoe job.  Now, to avoid
getting flammed, I am NOT stating barefoot works for all
endurance or distance horses, due to terrain, problems with boot
fititng....but it's currently working for me (no competiions this year).but
a lot of riding on tough terrain. I was a total barefoot skeptic too before
I started this. The benefit also was all my horses moved better, smoother
gaits, longer strides...the trippy mare totally stopped tripping

Seems when a farrier is trimming and shoeing; they are only guessing as to
where that horse should ideally be.  After about a year of shoeing; all
natural makers as to hoof shape and form can be subtley altered by the way
the farrier trims....
Karen