Re: [RC] Soft tissue injury question - Sisu West Ranch

",,,,The longer you rest the mare - the better..."

I'm not sure I agree with that.  We rehab'd two horses from bows 10 years ago.  The recommendation we followed was 2 wks stall rest then slow increases in exercise in a careful graded manner, with checks by ultrasound as required.  The start was just hand walking for a few minutes.  Every couple weeks the exercise increased a little bit.

The vet said that if we just rested, we would get a horse that was only fit to rest, the body needed graded exercise to encourage healing and rebuilding.

Both horses were back in competition 8 months later and are sound at this writing.  I think the key is "graded exercise", you just  don't plunge back into training after rest.

I admit it was a real test of our perserverence during the rehab'.  We were in WI at the time, and did not have any indoor arena.  It was a royal pain to come home from work, go out to the barn in the dark, and ride in the dark alongside roads with the temp. below zero.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875